The railway station "Frankfurt train station" of the Berlin-Frankfurt railway opened in 1842 with the completion of the route to Frankfurt an der Oder (right image sub-still shows the head of the first station of 1842). 1867/68 the head station was converted into a transit station. 1881 he was renamed into "Silesian Station" and integrated into the new Stadtbahn. In addition, the station received a platform for long distance trains.The Stadtbahn is an ongoing four tracks 16 meter wide viaduct. He is 6 meter above street level, enabling a non-crossing rail transport.With the stations of the Stadtbahn, a completely new station type was created. This was characterized by the elevation of the tracks that were spanned by a station concourse and through the function of the reception building below the railway tracks. With the Stadtbahn a connection was created to the circular railway.Between 1925 until 1937 new modifications of the station were done. In 1928 the electrification of the Stadtbahn take place. In 1943, the station building and the station concourse were severely damaged.As of November 1945, the S-Bahn traffic was resumed. The reconstruction took place between 1948 and 1950. The station has been renamed in "Ostbahnhof". 1985 began significant construction works and thereby the demolishing of administrative buildings. On 15 December 1987 the new reception building was opened and the name was changed into "Berlin Hauptbahnhof". In 1997 an extensive track renewal take place, where in the meantime the long-distance traffic has stopped.The oldest railway mission in Germany was founded in 1894 in Berlin's Ostbahnhof.